Sunday, June 9, 2013

Our Weary Travels Home

Monday we went to the market to do some souvenir shopping. You can't go to a foreign country and not o to the market for souvenirs! So we did! We ran in and out of outdoor shanties where the merchants had set up shop. We got to exercise our bartering skills. Timmy was particularly good at this. Jonathan kept saying his thoughts out loud to me. Paul was just watching, cause he had no clue! We ended up with a lot of nice African things. Some for ourselves, some for others. Mom and I both bought African dresses: 

Dad, Jonathan, and Timmy got African shirts:


Paul got a T-shirt with the map of Uganda on it, sadly I don't have a photo of that. Once we finished our shopping we had lunch, bought some Ugandan and Kenyan coffee, then started off for Entebbe. Jonathan flew out that night because he had to be home sooner for work. We went to the hotel and saw he off (on the hotel transit), then we relaxed the rest of the evening. The next day we spent at the hotel or on the Lake. 
I know, we were suffering! Maybe not. We didn't really have much of anything to do, except catch up from being offline for a week. We went to the airport early and just hung out looking at overpriced shops. Finally our plane took off at midnight. The flight was relatively uneventful. I got two seats to myself which meant I could lay across both of them and sleep. The second flight, mom sat beside me and we watched movies together. We arrived in DC at 3pm on Wednesday and my mother-in-law and niece were there to drive us home. Which was fun! I got to sit in the back seat and hang out with my little niece, Ava! 

We made it back to Skippers, where Mom and Dad live and slept the night away. Sadly every day since I haven't been able to sleep in. I've woke up between 5-6 AM every morning till this morning, I woke up at 7 instead. Jet lag. Anyway, there are worse things. We already miss Uganda, especially our new friends in Busia. We are already working on plans for returning next year. Our hope is to build a team who can do two things: one, teach another Bible conference; two, put a roof on the church. They have been building this new church building since 2002, one brink at a time. They take up offering every week in two baskets, one for the regular offering, the other for the building project. We hope that next year we can "top off" their work by giving them a roof. 

Pray about, and think about whether or not you can help in one way or another, next year. Either by supporting, or by coming. I will hopefully be able to post specific ways to help soon. 
Blessings in Christ. 


No comments:

Post a Comment